This week I made a quick trip to visit seven of my ten nieces and nephews. They performed a recital playing guitar, piano, violin and bells. Ages three up through sixteen, each played in at least one song. My sister and her husband have instilled a wonderful love of music in these children. I'm so proud of them. The kids were eager to share their favorite musicians and their favorite television shows with me while I was there. Here are five things the cool kids are watching.
1. The Piano Guys YouTube videos: The older five children (of seven) got to see The Piano Guys live in concert recently. They loved the experience. These guys are super-talented and creative. You might easily lose a few hours watching their videos.
2. Lindsey Stirling YouTube videos: Ella, age eight, and Jane, age five, play violin. Ella is obsessed with Lindsey Stirling, a modern dancing violinist. She got to see Lindsey Stirling in concert this past year. The videos are a visual spectacle.
3. Jessie on Netflix: This show. I can't even. My nieces and nephews think that I look JUST LIKE Jessie, because I have reddish hair and wear eye makeup. Not even. Jessie is from Texas, making her way in the big apple as a nanny. I have lived in Texas most of my life. I have spent some time in New York City. That's where the comparisons end.
4. 2 Cellos YouTube videos: These guys are ridiculously talented with their classical instrument renditions of modern popular songs. I can only watch one of their videos at a time before it starts sounding screechy to my tender ears, but they are impressive.
5. The Twilight Zone on Netflix: Yes, the old show from 1959. The kids find it eery and creepy in a non-threatening way. I loved this show when I was a kid too. I enjoy The Twilight Zone as an adult, but more for the nostalgia, and less for the sci-fi twists.